Model Don’ts (and a Do)
Thought I’d share this great guide to posing that I saw posted on Facebook by fellow photographer Marcus Turner…
MODEL DON’Ts (And a DO)
* Do not be a “no-neck monster.” Try to elongate your neck for maximum extension.
* Do not pose like a hoochie. (If you don’t know what a hoochie is, er…that’s probably best.)
* Do not be a limp noodle. Always pose with tension in your body completely from H2T (head to toe).
* Do not play it safe and stay in the same pose. Mix it up with innovative poses. Your wildest pose could be the one that’s picked.
* Do not show up to a photo shoot unless you are clean shaven, have a clean face, and clean hair.
* Do not let hating how your hair or makeup is done affect your performance. Model through it.
* Do not stare aimlessly when posing. Create intensity for the camera through your eyes. Smize (smile with your eyes)!
* Do not slouch on the runway; pretend you have a wire through your spine that is pulling you up to the ceiling.
* Do not be forgettable. Make an impression by showing your distinctive personality.
* Do request to have your favorite music playing when you do a shoot! The beat will kick your poses up 10 notches!
*Do have good skin. Care for it. It makes a difference
* Do study the models in expensive high fashion magazines.
*Do the work. Practice poses in the mirror.
* Be always conscious of where the key light is.
* Know that if it feels fake, it looks fake.
* Do remember to think of yourself NOT as just a “model” but a performance artist telling a story with your face and body.